Monday 1 November 2010

Design and Content

Today I started on the graphics for the website. Below you see three blocks that I came up with that feature every programme (MABAPHD). What do you think?




A short recap of last week: Tuesday started with an unexpected event - an e-learning symposium.
Something that is technically not possible in GX at the moment is already possible at the Library - Namely to leave comments on articles somebody publishes and get a discussion started. That its (informed) controversy that lies at the heart of a meaningful discussion is worth mentioning. But without the technical possibility nothing is accomplished. The library wall uses wordpress (metamorphosis theme) and offers enhancement while still maintaining the MU look&feel. Among others, Martin Rehm spoke about "finding the carrot to get the donkey going" when motivating students to use web2.0 technologies in the classroom. I also used a quote from Jeroen ten Haaf because it fit's with SBE's values "sharing success".


Success is the ability to go from one failure to another
with no loss of enthusiasm.
- Sir Winston Churchill



Wednesday was time to meet with PGE to discuss some technical problems before I was enmeshed in a meeting about the Department websites. As on many other occasions I observed that many are already overwhelmed by slightly new workflows and changes in their cognitive models. "Its just another thing to check" is a feedback get very often when I introduce people to my weblog. Also the technical training was already too much and will be made much easier with a focus on practical simple to follow workflows. I spend quiet some time on this and hope that it will bear fruit soon. It concerns the ContentTypes and Classifications correctly used in GX that make a lot of trouble. But I will reflect tomorrow on this.


This brings me already to the highlight of last week - my presentation of basically myself in front of the departmental heads. I send them this email afterwards and cannot really go into more details here. Not because its confidential but because it is not so interesting. But everybody seemed satisfied and I am more interested than ever in stress reduction courses for all the people I work with. Since I am the cause of the stress it would fit my purpose to also provide the remedy for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment