Wednesday 20 July 2011

Personal Profile Pages

Today I had to insert this text:

As of academic year 2011-2012 the possibilities and regulations regarding the master’s exchange programme will change substantially. Although it will still be possible to do a master’s exchange, students who participate in a master’s exchange selection in the academic year 2011/2012 - in order to get selected for an exchange semester in the academic year 2012-2013 - will be charged an administrative fee of €500 as soon as they are selected and confirm their study place abroad.

And then I had to think about the personal profile pages on http://www.personeel.unimaas.nl/. When people come to me with a problem it is my natural response to find an answer. And most of the time I do find an answer. But not this time.

The problem is quiet simple. Every medewerker gets webspace - 20MB - to host their own personal website. And many people spend lots of time and effort on this. With the introduction of windows 7 the old tool - Microsoft Frontpage - does not do the job anymore and microsoft stopt any support back in 2007. After my first call to ICTS I was pointed to a PDF with the hilarious sentence stating that:

Webfolders are not officially supported by ICTS, therefore we cannot answer any further questions about this software or manual.

With the ICTS logo on the top right corner of the document and a timestamp from 2007 I was left with a smile knowing that the webfolders are hosted at ICTS and inaccessable for everybody who uses Windows 7. When I was a high school student in 1997 I also had a webfolder and we have now 2011.

After my second call I was asked to download a free software called Share Point Designer 2010 from Microsoft. It arrived at my harddisk with 7MB/second. I say this because there where times when you waited some hours for the same amount. After the installation I was unable to connect to the webfolder und called ICTS again.

Naive as I am I asked if a FTP client would offer a solution. But FTP is to insecure to be applicable for the webfolders. There seems to be lots of cyber-criminal potential here at UM if personal webfolders are inaccessable via the FTP protocoll. So I had the glorious idea to use the problem as an excuse to download adobe dreamweaver and tried also this solution. WebDAV protocoll seems to work but does not retrieve files and display only an empty webfolder. 

What is the solution? There is no solution except the Project Profielpagina's medewerkers UM which arrived from Manon and the definite deadline of February 2012. Remember the proposal of Tim Smit the consultant with the cheesie website himself. His proposed deadline for the same project was june 2011. 


But at least I know what a colophone is!

No comments:

Post a Comment