Tuesday 14 September 2010

Department Website Structure

Since the first people show up tomorrow to discuss changes on the department site I think its a good idea to reveal the structure I came up with. My basic premise is "keep it simple". Since the deadline is tight and I have no clue what departments really want I hope to get some input here from you.



1. The initial plan to give every department the same layout (assigned design in GX) that schools (former faculties) and maastrichtuniversity.nl (former universitymaastricht.nl) got dismissed because of technical problems. But this does not matter for now. What I consider a well done department side is Oxford University - Department of Biochemistry. The front page should show off what there is to show. It should be inviting and to the point. If it was updated on a regular basisabout the department's activities it would serve as a good example on how I see our site. So far I propose this mockup as a starting point.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Nice and clean layout. I like it.
    A few comments to the structure: taking uvt.nl/marketing as an example, we'd also like to have an Education and a Research subheading on the website. Would that be just us adding this content manually or do we need to include these items in the general structure of a department's website?
    The research tab could focus on a description about the department's research efforts plus an aggregator to SBE's (yet non-existing, but should we aim for it?) publication database.
    The education tab focuses on existing programs. Or should that information be located somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete